A party isn’t a party without some good food. Here are some suggestions for food preparation and presentation.
Layout, Drink, & Food
• Appetizers are a must for guests to nibble on while the main meal is being prepared. This can be easy things like jalapeño poppers, watermelon, greek salad skewers, fresh baguettes with dip, etc.
• Have a separate drinks table. A big pitcher of water infused with lemon, cucumber or mint is great to keep everyone hydrated. If you are supplying mixers for alcoholic beverages, have them lined up on the table as well.
QUICK TIP: Be sure to let guests know beforehand whether this is a BYO party or if drinks will be supplied.
• Have another table specifically for food. Placing the food out in a buffet style can be a good way for guests to pick and choose what they want on their plate.
Creating a space with a nice atmosphere is essential for a great backyard party.
• Give guests areas for mingling and conversation. People tend to hover near the areas with food so it can be a good idea to create a mingle space near the appetizers. Toss down some cozy cushions, comfy chairs, circular tables or benches.
• Create a music playlist that you can put on just before guests begin to arrive and that will continue to play throughout the evening. You can even set up an iPad for guests to pick their favorite songs.
• Set up some games to encourage conversation and laughter amongst your guests. Ladder golf, jumbo Jenga, and ring toss are all great ideas.
• Nothing makes a party better than a genuine and attentive host. Be sure that you are greeting every guest that comes to your party and keeping an eye out to ensure everyone looks like they’re having a good time.
Now that you have these ten tips you are on your way to throwing a backyard party that your friends and family will be talking about long after it’s done.